Pneumothorax Types
Spontaneous Pneumothorax
Tension Pneumothorax
Traumatic Pneumothorax
News and Research
Discussion Forums
Links and Resources
Personal Experiences
News Archive
General Information
Advisory Panel
About Us

Male with Two Surgical Treatments for a Pneumothorax

My story started in 1997, when I was beginning my final year of high school. I was driving back home from a trip to Calgary, Alberta were I had gone for Thanksgiving break. As I was driving I seemed like I couldn't sit still, my back was really sore. This was common to me but the stabbing pain in my chest was different. After many rest stops I finally arrived home near Peace River, Alberta. Thinking it was heartburn from Thanksgiving I went to school the next day. I made it half the day and returned home with back pain and heartburn. Fearing some heart problem I went to the hospital.

I fully expected to be told to take some antacid and go home. After listening to my chest, my doctor ordered some chest x-rays. After taking some x-rays, which I thought where for my back pain, he took me back to the emergency room. By this I was total confused why my heartburn was getting so much attention. He told me he had been waiting for someone with this condition, I had what he called a spontaneous pneumothorax or air around the lung as he explained it to me. It generally affects tall thin men between 20 and 30. I was the prime candidate at 17 years old, 6 foot 4 inches tall, 160 pounds and a male. The only thing I didn't do was smoke and never been around much second hand smoke either. Now he wanted to insert a small tube to drain the air around the lung, a chest tube. What's a chest tube I asked? So he showed me the needle saying I insert this into your side. Well that's about all I remember because I passed out after he showed me that thing. After I came to, he decided to let it reabsorb on it's own. I would need to be hospitalized mainly because I passed out, but also for observation reasons. During the stay in hospital the decision was made to have a VAT operation in Edmonton, Alberta as soon as possible.

A few weeks later after it reabsorbed I was in Edmonton about to go into surgery. After surgery I was in the hospital heavily doped up, flat on my back with a chest tube for a week before the tube was removed and I was
released. I remember the tube coming out. I asked is this going to hurt and all the doctor said was you're going to experience child birth for about 2 seconds. It was a deep breath in and blow out and with blow out,
out he pulled the tube. It hurt as it was coming out, but the feeling after was wonderful. I remember saying, I never want to do this again. That would bring me to now. In November 2001, I was attending University in Lethbridge, Alberta finishing up my semester. While playing basketball, I started getting slight pains in my chest. I checked out and went off to rest. As the pain stayed after I cooled down, I started to wonder what it was. Feeling a check up couldn't hurt; I went to the hospital to get looked at. I told the doctor I had a pneumothorax about 4 years ago on the same side and had surgery to repair it. He listened to my chest and poked around. Finally he said he didn't think it was a pneumothorax only a pulled muscle in my breastbone. It happens after the rib cage gets hit just right, like from a basketball to the chest. I was to put some ice on it and take some painkillers if needed. I was so relieved to find out I was ok that I felt a little stupid that I had even thought it could be another pneumothorax. The pain soon disappeared and I was back to normal. One week later I was back playing basketball, when all of a sudden a sharp pain in my chest hit. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't move, I just stood there motionless for a few seconds. Then I started taking shallow breaths and slowly moved off the court. I walked home slowly, thinking I guess a pulled breastbone muscle needs more then a couple weeks to heal. That night I could hardly sleep, sleeping in the chair felt about the best. For the next 3 days I tried to let it heal, taking painkillers and putting ice on it. After the 3rd day it became apparent that this wasn't working. I went back to the hospital hoping to get some better advise on curing a pulled breast bone. The nurse listened to my chest and I again explained about my previous pneumothorax problems.

The doctor showed up almost immediately after the nurse left, took one listen to my chest and said I think you have another pneumothorax. I couldn't believe it, because this time I was prepared for a pulled breastbone, not what I had feared the first time.

Looking back it was determined that the first time I came in it was a pneumothorax not a pulled breastbone and that the doctor had been in a rush and neglected to order a chest x-ray that would have showed exactly what I had feared. After the x-ray confirmed what the doctor thought a chest tube was ordered. Oh no I said, your going to have to knock me out to do that. I explained what happened the first time and the doctor said I could be heavily sedated, but either way they had to put a tube in. What the doctor couldn't believe is how I put up with this for 3 days. I don't really know either just that I thought it was a pulled muscle. After the sedation wore off and the tube was in, I was back in the hospital, flat on my back wondering what was going to happen next. I again had it explained to me that surgery was the best idea to prevent this from happening again. I said ya that's what they told me the first time I got this and it obviously didn't work. They now were sure that this as the second pneumothorax in the past 3 weeks and it would probably keep occurring if I didn't have something done. This time I was to have a thoracotomy done. No scope this time, a full incision and they would have to remove part of my rib to prevent cracking open the rib cage. I agreed knowing the scope hadn't worked and something else would have to be tried.

After surgery they always seem to want to rate your pain on a scale of 1 to 10. Right after the thoracotomy,
one of my first memories was someone asking me can you rate your pain for me between 1 and 10 and I managed to grunt out 11. It worked out great I got a little button that I could push for a morphine shot whenever I wanted it. I was in the hospital for a week, flat on my back again, with a new chest tube before having it pulled out and being released. Both hospital recoveries were similar. I have to say though that the thoracotomy is more painful afterwards.

Now I'm recovering from that surgery reading up on this condition of mine. I understand about 9 out of
100000 people get this and out of those that have the VAT surgery to repair it only 3% have it happen again in the same lung. Wow don't I feel lucky. It's never slowed me down though. I passed all my courses in my senor year of high school and am continuing on in University through makeup tests. I fully intend to get back to doing everything I did before, including a little basketball. I think my odds of getting a third surgery are pretty low, but if it happens down the road I'm sure this time I'll be ready for it.