Pneumothorax Types
Spontaneous Pneumothorax
Tension Pneumothorax
Traumatic Pneumothorax
News and Research
Discussion Forums
Links and Resources
Personal Experiences
News Archive
General Information
Advisory Panel
About Us

18-Year Old with a Repeat Spontaneous Pneumothorax

I am an 18 year old male and I have just experienced my second medically confirmed spontaneous pneumothorax four days ago.

My first experience with (SP) (Spontaneous Pneumothorax) was when I was a junior in high school. I was sitting in English class and began to experience a severe pain that increased on inhilation on my right side. Since it hurt through to my back, we took a series of x-rays of my back and nothing showed. Eventually after a few days the pain stopped. A week later the same thing happened and I was told by the school nurse that it was stress. After waiting 7 hrs to be seen in the ER I was told that my right lung was collapsed. The only decision that could be made was to admit me and put me on oxygen.The doctors argued that the lung was collapsed anywhere from 15
to 40%.

After 5 days in the hospital and two more weeks of strict bed-rest I was back to normal. I started seeing a lung specialist right up until I moved here to Alaska. Then I was living in Louisiana and now I have moved to Alaska.

Just three days ago while I was checking e-mail I thought I was having a heart attack. I called my mom at work and she rushed home to take me to the ER. Upon arriving they said my left lung had collapsed 20%. They didn't give me a chest tube but rather gave me Morphine which I had a reaction to. They eventually gave me Tordal and sent me home with instructions to return in 4 hours for more x-rays. On the second set they showed that a pocket of air had formed around my pericardium causing lots of pain. You could actually put your hand on my chest and feel the air leaking out. The next morning I went back for more x-rays and the percentage was down to 5%. Later that evening as I went to bed I started having trouble breathing. I got up and within 5 minutes my whole body was shaking violently and uncontrolably. My parents rushed my into the ER. I was aware of what was going on, but I didn't feel in control of my body. After 30 to 40 mins of this shaking I was given Adavant. I calmed down and returned home. The doctor said it was an attack of my nervous system. I had another smaller one the next day with vomitting. Today, four days later I am starting to move about.

I have been reccomended to a lung specialist at Virginia Mason in Seattle which is a three hr flight from Alaska. I hope to see him in two weeks. I havechronic lung pain everyday it seems, ever since the last (SP). Hopefully they will find what caused it. All we know now is that it could have something to do with the fact that I was born 3 months early at 2lb 10oz. I was on a ventilator for 4 months.

I just hope they
figure out what's wrong. It can be very scary. I know it is hard on my parents as well.