Pneumothorax Types
Spontaneous Pneumothorax
Tension Pneumothorax
Traumatic Pneumothorax
News and Research
Discussion Forums
Links and Resources
Personal Experiences
News Archive
General Information
Advisory Panel
About Us

Two Pneumothorax Experiences (28 year old male 5'8'')

Hello-I am a 28 year old male 5'8'', 150 pounds. I live in Litchfield, Connecticut. I have had 2 spontaneous pneumothoraces in the left pleura cavity within 1 month of each other. The first time it happened I was getting ready to go to work--all of a sudden I got a sharp pain in my upper left chest and shoulder. I thought it was just gas pain and proceeded to get to work. Well I was about 5 minutes from work when I turned around and went back home--I was in too much pain. I asked my dad to bring me to the ER in Torrington, CT. There they almost sent me home with anti-biotics thinking I had a cold- well that @#$!&%$ doctor was wrong and Im glad I was persistant- I told him to listen to my heart again- what was so strange was that every time my heart beat I would hear a "click", this scared the hell out of me. I have been snowboarding, wakeboarding, skateboarding my whole life- I've injured myself enough times to differentiate between a muscle injury and something else- well I knew this was the something else- He then ordered a chest x-ray after my persistant questioning. The x-ray showed that my left lung was 20% collapsed. He then called a surgeon into perform the chest tube-more painful that hitting a tree snowboarding (which I had done) They kept me over night with the tube hooked up to a water box. The next day they sent me home with the tube in me, but they attached a one way valve to the end--3 days later the surgeon took the tube out. At the time I was student teaching in Biology. I missed a week. About 4 weeks later I had another spontaneous pneumothorax. I was 5 days away from completing my student teaching. This time it did not hurt as bad, but I was hearing the click again every time my heart beat. This time they put the chest tube back in. I stayed in the hospital and the next day they did the pleurodisis- the procedure involving injecting a talc like powder around the pleura. The surgeon told me after the operation that they recollapse the injured lung so they can get the talc fully around the lung. I was glad he told me this after the operation. Besides the chest tube, their were two other 1" insisions in my back- one for the camera, the other for the talc injector. I awoke from being "knocked out" gasping for air and very "out of it" I was in the hospital for 4 more days after the surgery-It was the 4 most painful days of my life. I lost about a liter of bloody fluid that drained from the chest tube into the water box. Luckily my University said I had enough days in teaching to be done-that was a huge relief- Well it has been 3.5 weeks since the surgery-I saw the surgeon this morning to ask him some questions. I have been having pain in various locations-he said "There is no way my left lung will colapse again." That made me feel better-now I just worry about my right lung collapsing-I guess I shouldn't worry, but its hard not to! My advise for anyone is to ask the doctor as many questions as you want-DO NOT let them push you out because they are in a hurry--Tell the doctor if you want an x-ray or whatever to ease your worries--it is worth it in the long run--Good luck to anyone who has had a pneumothorax,may you never have another one!